Popular Posts

Monday 29 August 2011

Buda Castle

The Turnbol Overlooking the Danube


Castle Gates
Castle Gates in the Sunshine
I know everybody is wondering when the hell I'm going to post some photographs, so here goes.

Today I went up to Buda Castle.  I went about a month or more ago on a cloudy day and said I'd go back on a sunny day.  Today I couldn't get away until almost 3, so it was 4 when I got up there. I want to go back sometime when I can stay all day and explore the whole area.  Today I only saw the Castle area itself.   The last time I went up to go to the Labyrinth, but it was closed, so I walked around the castle and around the streets a little bit before it started to rain.
View of Szenchenyi Chain Bridge from Castle Hill
The Castle overlooks the city from a hill. From my house, you walk to the Basilica of St. Istvan, or St. Stephen as we Americans would call him.  Then you can walk down a long promenade, past the Gresham Four Seasons Palace, and past Roosevelt Square, or ter, and then across the Szechenyi Chain Bridge.

 There is always an old Gypsy lady begging on the bridge.  I consider her the gatekeeper and I always give her a 100 or 200 FT piece.  Once across the bridge, a huge hill confronts you, and a tunnel going through the hill.
Szechenyi Chain Bridge on a Cloudy Day
Lion Guarding Chain Bridge











After crossing the bridge, directly in front of you is a funicular that will take you to the top of the mountain. There was a funicular in Lyon, and I read somewhere recently that this one, and the one in Lyon, were the only two of their kind, for a long time at least, if not still today.
The funicular in Lyon takes visitors up the hillside to Notre Dame de Fourviere.  I did not take the funicular.  I chose, instead, to walk up the 800,000 steps leading up the hillside.  Talk about calves of steel.  I think going down was actually worse.  :)  It was fun climb.  I plan to hike the steps up to Buda Castle soon.

Buda Castle Funicular-Gellert Car

Buda Castle Funicular Tracks
Funicular Gears


It's a different world on top of the hill.  You're away from all the hustle and bustle of the city, the breeze is blowing off the river, and the view is simply breathtaking.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment