Popular Posts

Monday 5 September 2011

More Statues from Buda Castle

Howdy there ya'll,

I hate to dwell too much on Buda Castle, but the statues up there are so cool that I felt like each statue grouping deserved to be showcased in its own post instead of trying to cram 200 statues into one post.

I took these pictures last Monday when I strolled up there. It was a beautiful sunny day and all I really did was poke around the old building. The Castle was started in medieval times, but has been built onto during every era of history, so it's probably more baroque in appearance now, with the old foundations still present. It's surrounded by a wall and a courtyard on all sides, and in the various little courtyard areas are the statues.

I'm going to showcase the statues of the children fishing in this post. This statue is also a sculptural fountain like the Hunt.

Buda Castle Fishing Fountain

Once again I love the movement in this statue. The upward movement. I love the way the fish is spouting water and the children are struggling with glee.  Check out the fishing net. It's so finely rendered it really looks like a net instead of the bronze that it is.

Fishing Net Closeup
Look at the little girl laughing with delight as the water sprays her face. And check out this fish, and see how the boy is struggling with it with all his might.

Fish
I like the way the boy's body entwines withe the fish's and they form one serpentine form. I love the way his muscles are straining to hold that huge fish. I know the Hungarian's love of carp in their fish stew, and I actually saw a carp in Millennium Park that I swear was that big. That's all for now. Stay tuned, because this week I'm going to Parliament and I'm going to tour the inside of the Basilica of St. Istvan, which I saw during a concert I attended, but this time, I'm going to check out the dome and everything! So tune in again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment