Popular Posts

Sunday 11 September 2011

Daddy Are We There Yet? A Travel Advisory from Annoyin’ Conqueror

Hey Ya'll,

I’m on my way to Romania today. I just checked the clock on my cell phone and it’s 2:00. Which means I have 8 ½ hours left to go. Yikes! I’m getting to see the Hungarian countryside. It’s very flat, and I’ve seen miles of cornfields and sunflower fields. I had no idea Hungary mass-produced sunflowers but they most certainly do. I’ve seen some cool little bog areas and actually saw a heron and two egrets in the fields near the bogs.

It kind of reminds me of Southeastern Oklahoma if that's possible. And yes it's possible. Take a look for yourself.


Hungary or Oklahoma?

Sunflowers as Seen from Train Window

Trust me, those are sunflowers. And here is a picture of the wide open Hungarian sky.


Hungarian Sky
I decided to bring my computer at the last minute and I’m glad I did. At least I can watch some movies or something. This is longer than a flight across the Atlantic. I left Keleti station today at 11:10 and am scheduled to arrive in Sibiu (pronounced C-B-U) at 10:20 PM, or 22:20 for us folks over here on the Europe side of things. Or those of you in the armed forces.

Here's a shot of Keleti yesterday when I was buying my ticket. It looked like something out of a Soviet nightmare if you want to know the truth. It didn't look so bad this morning in the sunshine.

Keleti Station in the Rain

Side View of Keleti Station
My day actually started pretty early. I was up to go to the bakery to buy bread for my sandwiches, which I'm very glad I packed. Pack it in or you'll starve on these trains. I got to Keleti about 10:00 AM for fear of being late, and so I sat on a bench and watched pigeons while I waited to board the train.


Keleti Pigeon 
Keleti Pigeons


If you want to get specific, I watched pigeons crap all over the floor, and tried to avoid getting crapped on from above. They actually have a bird roost in Keleti. INSIDE the building.


Fake Bird Roosting at Keleti

Real Bird Roosting at Keleti
I don't really understand the point of the fake bird roosting. If they think the pigeons don't know to roost on whatever is roostable, than they don't know pigeons. And well they should. This city is swarming with them. What is it that Homer calls them? Flying rats?


I was sitting in front of a big pile of pigeon poop, watching person after person walk through it and step on it, and wondering why I was the only one who seemed to notice it.


Pigeon Poop
I know you're asking yourself why I didn't point this out to people, but where's the fun in that? My excuse is that I don't know the Hungarian words for "pigeon poop".  :)


Anyway, enough pigeon talk. . .


My goal on this trip is to visit the Saxon Churches of Transylvania. I’m sure there will be too many to see in one trip so I plan to see a few really well, and then I’ll make another trip back to see the rest. I’m excited.

As always, I wish I had some friends by my side to share in the adventure, but traveling without friends is better than not traveling at all. Let’s hope I feel that way when this adventure is over.

More later. . .

Oh, we are just now crossing the border into Romania and I am having to hand somebody my passport. Yay! How exciting!

Here is a picture of the border.


Romanian Border

Now I’d better go practice how to say, “Can you tell me how to get into the Saxon Church?” (The border patrol just stamped my passport, yay!)

That reminds me, I’m becoming fairly well traveled. Here’s what my passport says so far:
El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Frankfurt Germany (airport), France, Barcelona Spain, Dubrovnik Croatia, Munich Germany (airport), Hungary, and now Romania. Yay!!!!! Conquering the world, one country at a time, this is Annoyin’ Conqueror signing off. For now that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment