Popular Posts

Monday 3 October 2011

24 Hours in Sibiu Part2

Salut!

I've been home from Romania two weeks and I haven't finished my blog on it yet because the google blog tool keeps screwing up my photos. Thanks google. Instead of trying to insert anything into the previous pages I'm going to see if it'll work better if I just start on a new page.

I took a lot of photos my first 24 hours there, walking back and forth from the hotel to various cash machines, and with little to do since I had enough cash for about 2 meals and that was it. So, the camera came in handy.

Ever want to know what it looks like when they are cobbling a street?

Cobblestones in the Works
Here's what my hotel neighborhood looked like when the sun was going down.

Sibiu Street Corner
Street at Dusk 
Approaching Downtown Dusk
Here is one of the ubiquitous pizzerias that Romania is full of.

Pizza!
Now you can start to see what the downtown looks like with its fortified church tower.

Church Tower
And here is the Liar's Bridge.

Liar's Bridge

They say if you tell a lie while standing on it it will crumble, but apparently a lot of people from way back in history have lied while standing on it.  :) Yes, they make you pay to go up into the main squares. That's what that little arm is for.

And here is the famous church tower again.

Sibiu Church Tower at Dusk

Outdoor Cafe with Colored Church Tiles in Background
This church was so cool looking, I just couldn't take enough shots of it, as you will see.

When walking from my hotel you climb some stairs next to the Liar's Bridge, or you can walk up under it, and you are in Piata Mica, which is pronounced Piatsa Mitsa. Romania sounds beautiful, like Italian. You know how when you hang out with Italian people you feel like you could just start speaking it? Romanian is the same way. It sounds so cool.

The Piata Mica is the small square which opens up off of Piata Mare which is the big square. I preferred the intimacy of Piata Mica. I spent a whole day moving from cafe to cafe, having espresso, drinking "apa minerala", watching dogs and people, shopping, checking email. It was fun.

Here are some shots of Miata Mica at Dusk.

First the Catholic Church.

Catholic Church from Piata Mica
Then the Town Tower.

La Turn
Here's another shot of that amazing beserika luterana.

Isn't it Gorgeous?
Here are some shots of the Piata Mica at dusk, taken from all views.


Piata Mica Dusk

Piata Mica Dusk

Piata Mica Dusk

Casa Luxembourg Piata Mica
Stay tuned for some shots of Sibiu in the day time. :) Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment