Popular Posts

Friday 28 October 2011

Wien


Gutentag!

Caroline and I did a whirlwind tour of Vienna. Unlike many places I've visited, I decided to forgo my anal-retentive-get-to-know-everything attitude, and I just enjoyed the scenery. I'm afraid to say this means I don't know what some of my pictures are of. I blame this mostly on the fact that we saw a good bit of Vienna on a carriage tour, and I had trouble hearing the tour guide.

Now for a whirlwind tour of Wien!

We stayed at the Bristol, thanks to Caroline and her impeccable taste! It was old-fashioned luxury.

Outside the Bristol Hotel Vienna

Bristol Hotel Lobby

Another Shot of the Bristol Lobby

Caroline in the Bristol Checking Us In

Old Fashioned Luxury Complete with Chocolates on the Pillow!


We had tickets for the opera, so after eating lunch and relaxing for an hour or so we changed and headed to the Staatsoper. Here is a shot of the outside of the State Opera House followed by some pictures of the inside.

Staatsoper Vienna

Inside Staatsoper Vienna

Chandelier in Vienna Opera

Closeup of Chandelier

Curtain in Staatsoper
We saw Mozart's Die Zauberflote, or, the Magic Flute. It was Mozart, so it was fabulous, although I must say I didn't appreciate the modern and minimalist set design which had the entire opera taking place in what looked like the stall of a dirty, graffitied public bathroom.

The next day we strolled around near our hotel for a few minutes, and of course the first statue we saw was of Maria Theresa. Of course!

Maria Theresa 
Closeup of Maria Theresa
This statue was actually pretty amazing. It was flanked by smaller statues of famous Austrians, but it was crowded and touristy and I didn't find out who they all were. Here are some closeups.

Horse Closeup on Maria Teresa Statue 
Closeup of Horseman

Another Horseman

Horseman in Profile

Another Horseman in Profile

Yet Another Horseman in Profile!
The courtyard where this statue was housed the Museum of Natural History. Here is a shot of the Museum along with some more statues.

Horse in front of Museum of Natural History 
Galloping Horseman
There is a fountain in this courtyard reminiscent of the one in the Buda Castle Courtyard of the children fishing, only this one depicts gods and goddesses.

Fountain in Vienna 
Who's Struggling More---the Goddess or the Fish?

Closeup of Fish
Here is a cute little elephant in front of the Natural History Museum.

Elephant in front of Natural History Museum Vienna
At this point we started our carriage tour and my notes become a little iffy. But the pictures are still great.

Our Horses 
If Wishes Were Horses. . .

Our Carriage Ride in Vienna

This is What Happens When You Meet Another Carriage
I have to say, the carriage ride was a special treat. It was Caroline's idea and she treated us and I thought it was peachy of her to do so. I was recovering from a sprained ankle and my foot was swollen, and it was nice to just sit back, wrap up in a blanket, and look at the wide boulevards of the newer town, the glistening white buildings, and the narrow cobbled streets of Old Vienna. Thanks Caroline!


I Think This is City Hall 
Pretty Sure This is the State Building

State Building with Circus
After getting carted down some of the wide boulevards we entered the Old Town. I remember passing the Beethoven House and the Schubert House right after we entered this part of town.



Beethoven House Vienna


Schubert House Vienna

Schubert House
Here is Vienna's famous astronomical clock.

Vienna's Astronomical Clock

Here are some more random photographs in Old Vienna that I'm sorry to say I cannot give you much detail on besides to say they are random buildings in Old Vienna.  ;)

Busy Vienna Street 
Domed Building?

Fountain

Another Fountain

Winged Statue on Lamp Post

Church 
Crowded Square

Steeple

No comments:

Post a Comment